Sunday, September 8, 2013

Waves Of Your Will


Original Picture From Flickr


 
               I spent a lot of time at the ocean this summer. As I watched the waves and went swimming I was struck again how /small/ I am. The ocean is vast and strong enough to knock my feet out from under me; the tide keeps coming and there is nothing I can do to control it... *Smiles* I wrote this poem thinking about the ocean and the strength of God's will.

 
Waves Of Your Will
8/4/13

 
When tomorrow comes
May I know more about You, Lord.
Day by day, please lead me.
It's all I long for -
To feel Your presence in my life.
I feel so small in the face of what You ask,
But You tell me to run
Full hearted after You.
 
 
I want to take a deep breath
To dive into the ocean of Your will
And give myself totally over to You.
No more of this standing on the shore
With my feet barely wet,
Afraid to take the plunge.
 
 
The waves crash in and sweep back the sand of my plans.
I've built fragile drip castles that I try to keep
Just on the edge of Your tide.
I stand watching,
Wondering if I dare to go into that unknown ocean
And leave behind my castles.
 
 
I hear Your voice calling -
Calling, calling, calling me to trust You
And let go.
So I hold my breath
And run into the waves.
It's much deeper than I thought,
And I lose my footing.
For a moment I struggle –
Crying out as the sand of my plans slides away.
Your current gently lifts me
And pulls me into deeper waters;
It's strong and out of my control
But somehow a sense of overwhelming peace is there.
 
 
I don't always follow as I should.
Sometimes I still go to the ocean's edge to build my sand castles,
As if I can keep them from You.
I struggle with letting You have control of all my life,
But You keep calling me back -
Back into the glorious wonder of striving for Your will.
But oh, that is hard to do -
Often times I fight Your current
Instead of swimming in the direction You're guiding.
It's when I surrender and dive deep,
Seeking to go where You call me,
That I feel Your strength to go.
 
There's something beautiful
About being powerless within the waves of Your will -
To know there's nothing left for me to do
But feel Your enveloping presence and...
Surrender.
The longer I stay here with You
The more I know that this is where I long to be,
And nothing can compare to the peace there is
In feeling the wild, enveloping, strength of Your love
As day by day You lead me in Your will.
 
 
~ZA
 
 
Copyright © 2013 Ophelia M. Flowers


2 comments:

  1. This makes ME smile! The ocean has always been God's sign to me, as well, that He is stronger than I, that I need to trust Him, that when I surrender I am stronger than ever because of Him. Thank you for putting this truth in poem form. You are so good at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad this made you smile Susie. Thank you for reading this poem... It also makes me think of spending the morning watching the sun come up over the ocean with you. Miss you!

      Delete

It always makes me smile to see that someone has been over to my little blog. Thanks for visiting! :D

~ZA
Zeal Aspiring